Being familiar with number bonds, doubling and halving is incredibly useful to children in helping them to calculate quickly and accurately. We encourage children in this with our first two maths awards:
Sapphire: knowing number bonds up to 20
Emerald: recalling number doubles and halves to twenty
These are a crucial tool in a child's mathematical success. We encourage the ongoing learning of times tables by encouraging the children to achieve the following times tables awards:
Bronze: 2x 5x 10x
Silver: 3x 4x 6x
Gold: 7x 8x 9x
Platinum: 11x 12x 13x
Diamond: two sets of playing cards turned over in turn and multiplied together
The children are given two minutes to answer 40 random calculations – using playing cards to generate the calculations. Certificates and stickers are given out in Celebration Assembly.
Progression in Calculations
These documents outline the progression in mental calculations for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
Each document includes:
- Key principles for each operation that children should understand;
- Effective models and images to enhance the learning of each operation;
- Development of key vocabulary for each operation, from Year 1 through to Year 6;
- Core mental skills and strategies that all children should learn in each year group from Year 1 to Year 6;
- Enhanced mental skills and strategies that some children could learn in order to make their mental skills more efficient from Year 1 to Year 6;
- Essential prerequisite skills for each of the core and enhanced mental strategies
20 minutes per day is dedicated to CLIC (Calculation, Learn-It, It's Nothing New and Calculation). Children take part in the Learn-It and CLIC Challenges on a Friday, aiming to beat their score.