"Our School, Our Say."
The School Council was set up to allow children to have a voice within our school. We are encouraged to express our opinions on topics that will affect our learning or surroundings. Both Ofsted and The Government support School Councils. Some of the things we have been involved with are:
- planning the School Charter
- working alongside our Head Teacher on our Anti Bullying Policy and bullying incident form
- distributing and analysing playground surveys
- purchasing playtime or class resources
- Interviewing Prefects
- Anti-Bullying days
- Raising funds for either the PTA or a charity (in the past, we have supported Barnardo’s and Childline)
- Local Democracy Day at Basingstoke and Deane council offices
From each year group, two Councillors are chosen by their peers. At the end of the Spring term, we invite two representatives from Year R to join us.
We meet every fortnight and work from an agenda. Afterwards, the class representatives inform their class about our meeting. They produce notes from their discussion and use these to give feedback at the next meeting. This ensures that everyone’s opinions are heard.
We went along to this year’s School Council Conference, organised by students at Cranbourne Business and Enterprise College.
Of course, our Head Teacher, teachers and Governors have the final say in any recommendations, but they are always keen to receive our opinions.
We hope to keep our webpage up-to-date by sharing our most recent meeting notes with you. We would be pleased to receive any comments either about our webpage or our notes. Please contact us through the school office.